Sunday, February 12, 2006

Terri Schiavo and Bulimia

From HuffPo: Dr. Deborah Lynn, psychiatrist and psychoanalyst, has an interesting take on the Terri Schiavo case which made headlines last year. She discusses Terri's case focusing on reports that Mrs. Schiavo was bulimic. It's an interesting article and discusses the horrible situation that Terri and her family went through last year from a perspective I haven't heard before.

For the record, I opposed the removal of Terri Schiavo's nutrition and hydration. I have never understood the reasoning behind associating basic nutrition and hydration with extraordinary medical care. I don't believe that providing nutrition and hydration is medical care at all, and I oppose the removal of nutrition and hydration as a very crude form of assisted suicide or euthanasia; I believe that there should be laws against the removal of nutrition and hydration. If Terri Schiavo was indeed bulimic, then I think it's sad that her life ended as it was lived: deprived of needed nutrition and hydration.

Popular Posts