Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What I'm Reading

I finally finished Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Overall, it was an excellent series; my favorites were probably Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. I also liked the last book in the series, also called The Dark Tower, but I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending. I can't say why without also giving too much away, but I think a lot of people reading the ending would agree with me that it isn't satisfying after reading literally thousands of pages in the series. Oh well. Even though an unsatisfying ending is quite annoying, I don't regret reading this series of books at all. I really enjoyed it, more even than I've enjoyed other Stephen King books.

I would highly recommend it -- but I would also recommend taking Stephen King's advice at the end of The Dark Tower and not reading the coda. Stop after you've read the epilogue. I'm serious.

After spending a couple of months and thousands of pages on The Dark Tower, I've decided to take a break from fiction. I'll be reading Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis, by former President Jimmy Carter. Looks like a good read. After that, I'll probably continue on the path of social justice and politics for a while -- I've got plans to read Dorothy Day, Jim Wallis, Katrina vanden Heuvel, Bill Press, Arianna Huffington, Jon Stewart, Matt Taibbi, and others.

No comments:

Popular Posts